So, some not so awesome news in this post. Asher is going in for a surgical procedure Monday morning. Evidently, it is a fairly common, easy procedure, but I'm still a bit nervous about it. Anyway, here is what is going on:
When Asher was born his Doc said something about a communicating hydroseal, but said they usually fix themselves over time and not to worry about it. Well, when Asher had the flu last week I noticed his little sac was strangely lopsided. I got online to WebMD (NEVER do this!), and started freaking out as I read about hernias, etc. We called the doc and made an appointment.
Evidently, when little boys are forming their testicles actually come out of the abdomen. And their little sacs have a sleeve-like structure that they slide down until they get to their permanent spot. That sleeve is supposed to close off. Asher's didn't. Currently there is fluid going in and out of that sleeve, which isn't life threatening. However, eventually some of the intestines could find their way into his sac and that could cause some major problems. Therefore, Monday morning we are going in to get him drained and sewn up so he doesn't get a hernia playing T-ball when he's 8 years old or something.
Durrant keeps telling me that it is a common procedure and not to worry about it. But, I confess, I am worried. I know it doesn't make any sense, but I don't like the fact that my child who is less than 18 mo. old is going under the knife - I just can't be comfortable with that. I called my bro-in-law, who is going to be a nurse anesthetist, and told him he had to make me feel better. I called my bro, who is going to be a urologist, and asked him if we really needed to do this. If I had a phone number for God, I think I would call him and ask Him a few other questions (hope that isn't too sacrilegious).
However, as much as I'm not looking forward to this, I realize it is a small "trial" in order to prevent a bigger one in the future. I'm sure everything will go fine and Asher won't even notice the difference (it's same-day surgery, and he should be back to normal Mon afternoon). And then I can go on and worry about how to pay for all this!!! :)
Ah, life, aren't you grand.
Anyway, along with my goal of keeping everyone updated I have shared the latest. And if I'm brave I will try and bring the camera so I can adequately document my son's first surgery for all of you who are so far away. :)
3 comments:
Oh, Jill! I'm so sorry. But Asher will be just fine. We're praying for you guys!
Good luck you guys! He will be ok:) He's one tough kid! We'll be praying for you all.
I've never heard of a communicating hydroseal, but now that I have I know that they are LAME. I hope the surgery is effective and all is awesome with Asher.
Post a Comment