I had an epiphany the other day about life. For the longest time I have had a slight struggle with putting church and real life together. They were almost two completely separate lives for me. Not that I was different in on or the other, I just had a hard time equalizing the two. How did one really fit into the other, and what does it really matter anyway?
Well, as I was talking to Durrant about this late one night I was able to somehow put it all together in this parable: This world/life is like a school. Church is the classroom, and life is the lab where we go and try out all the things we learned in class. Then, after school is out, we can go home and report our progress. Some of us will have progressed further in our schooling than others, and a few of us will still be stuck in detention.
However, the classroom is critical. If we don’t have the instructions for the lab, the lab can get extremely frustrating and discouraging. We also have lots of instructors to go to when we get confused; prophets, parents, and other church leaders. And, (coming from someone who works in a college bookstore) school wouldn’t be school without textbooks: Scriptures, modern rev elation and personal inspiration.
But, keep in mind, the classroom is irrelevant without the application of the lessons learned. Why go to class if you can’t put the principles to work? Sometimes you don’t really see the point in the lab until weeks after the particular exercise, then it all comes into place and there is clarity. Other times you can’t possibly see how this particular experiment works, let alone how it could turn out okay. But somehow, if you keep following the guidelines from class, it all works out – usually better than you could have dreamed.
Yes, I realize this little parable of mine is probably full of holes. But it helps me put together two separate worlds in a way that makes sense. It also helps me realize that this life isn’t just now and that’s it, it is for eternity and what we do here really does matter.
1 comment:
That's a good analogy. Just because it doesn't cover every single possible concern is no reason to doubt it, as long as it brings something into focus it's doing its job. thanks!
Post a Comment