Monday, May 28, 2012

Vanna's 1-yr Old!

So I know I'm a little behind (ya think???) but at least I'm trying, right?  Anyway, here's my journal entry for Vanna's birthday.  It isn't nearly as much as I'd like it to be, but it will have to do. 



May 28, 2012

I should probably be cleaning the kitchen or the bathroom or something like that, but I knew I had to record a few things about this special little girl before the time gets away any more.  Two weeks ago, on May 14th, my sweet Vanna girl turned one year old.  On her birthday Durrant had to work at Home Depot so we had a small birthday party at her Uncle Dane’s house.  This way Dad could spend as much time at the party as possible before rushing off to the grindstone.  Those in attendance were Dane and Alicia Hunter, Vanna Hunter, Durrant, Jill, Asher and Vanna Pettey.  

We had stroganoff for dinner and carrot cake with cream cheese frosting for dessert.  We put the cake down on the floor in front of Vanna with the candle lit and she, of course, reached out immediately to touch (and the probably eat) the flame.  That didn’t go over very well.  About 10 minutes later, after the tears were dried, we tried again.  This time, no reaching.  That was the first time she said the word Ha-pee, and it has now become her favorite word.  Other favorite words are mama, daddy and “uh-oh.” 

Vanna has been doing what we call a tri-pod crawl for about 6 weeks now.  Essentially, she crawls with her two hands and her right foot and then drags her left knee behind her.  So she puts her hands and foot down and then pulls her left almost as an afterthought.  It’s pretty funny.  I recorded it on my phone and posted it on facebook.  Hopefully, I’ll transfer it somewhere more permanent some time soon.  It’s definitely worth keeping.  

About four weeks ago Vanna started pulling herself up and standing on her own.  No, that isn’t actually correct.  She will go from sitting down to standing up, just using the strength in her legs.  It’s actually quite remarkable to watch.  She doesn’t hold on to anything, she simply stands up.  I guess all that jumping did a good job in preparing her for this walking business.

I think it was also on her birthday, or very near, that she also took her first few steps.  Like most first-walkers, she almost didn’t realize she was doing it.  And, like Peter on the water, when she figured out what was going on she crumpled to the ground in shock.  However, she has since grown a little more confident in her abilities and doesn’t wear a look of surprise and awe when her feet move her places.  That being said, she still hasn’t taken more than 2-3 steps.  It’s almost like she knows she can do it, but prefers to do the tri-pod instead.  Funny girl.

As far as temperament and personality goes her favorite two words are appropriate: happy and uh-oh.  She is intensely happy.  She loves to play with (i.e. tease) her brother and giggles at almost everything he does.  She is also a snuggler, and I confess there has been more than one morning that I have just held her to me and wished time could freeze in that moment of happiness and joy.  She is a treasure and has won my heart and soul.  


My song for Vanna (sung to the tune All Around the Mulberry Bush) “Oh, I love my Va-anna girl. Oh, yes, I love my Vanna.  Just can’t help but lo-ove my girl.  I love my Vanna!”

No comments: